Friday, April 8, 2011

Products I like :)

I recently read the "Thrive Diet" book by Brendan Brazier, LOVED the book.  Though I'm not a vegan yet, it certainly gives plenty of good advice and really talks about why certain supplements, vegetables, etc are good for you, which is what I enjoyed the most.  I really liked that it's geared towards sports nutrition, I'm a very active person and therefore would like what is best for my body while not harming any animals.  Since reading it I have bought a few products and have been eating specific items for certain reasons or at least more of them.  I've also been trying to read up on different people's suggestions, even those that are meateating just to get an idea of what supplements they use, or what they eat, and why.  I'm trying to better understand what my body needs and then make sure I can find a vegetarian/vegan version.   I thought I'd share some of the ones I've been adding on a daily basis and will share more with you once I've added more to the list.

Raw protein by Garden of Life:
Love this product, it's super smooth, can be blended in a cup and won't be clumpy.  The book doesn't advise to get this product but I bought it because it has a good mix of different flours and all raw ones.  I started experimenting with a few different brands and this one I love love love.  It has a very neutral taste but add a couple of blueberries and YUM!
http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/FoundationalNutrition/RAWProtein/tabid/1894/Default.aspx

Vega Sport:
This one didn't taste as yummy, nor was it very smooth but it definitely made me feel good.  I've noticed every day I've added a shake to my day (which is recommended in the book) I've felt really good and energy is definitely up there.

myvega.com

Dates:
Ohmg dates are my new best friend, I had been reading that they give you energy and the book says that as well, but wow, I had no idea.  What's nice about is that the energy is somewhat constant, it doesn't feel like a crazy spike but it's there and it doesn't leave you crashing later.  My boyfriend claims I might be addicted, but he's enjoying them too!

Coconut Water: 
Said to have more electrolytes then gatorade, I admit I haven't taken this very much lately, just maybe once a week, but it is supposed to be great for you.  I went to the farmers market last week and had a fresh coconut, and then ate the "meat" from it, which was delicious.


Maca:
Luckily after having read about Maca, I hapenned to be at the new raw restaurant in Palm Beach, and guess what they had on their counter?  Maca!  I purchased a bag and have started putting in my daily smoothies, just 1/2 a teaspoon for now.  It has a strange flavor but I'm allready used to it.  I haven't felt any changes yet but I only started adding this to my diet about a week ago.  I'll keep you posted!  I have read some people have had bad experiences with maca as well as good ones, so I'm keeping the doses small and seing how I react to it.


Rainbow Light Vanilla Protein Energizer:

My boyfriend's mom introduced me to this brand a long time ago, and I've enjoyed it.  It's a very green smoothie and doesn't taste much like vanilla but it definitely gives me energy when I do take it.  Lately I've been more into the raw protein, and whenever I've made green smoothies I've used actual green veggies.  Whenever I get Kale in my veggie coop, I make it into a smoothie, unfortunately I haven't gotten used to the taste in anything but a smoothie so that's the way I make sure I eat it.

No comments: